|Fig: Symptons of Breast Cancer|
Now a days, breast cancer has been one of the most common cancer in female. Usually the person may herself can do the self examination. Breast self-examination (BSE) plays a major role in early detection and intervention of breast carcinoma.
Done after 5-7 days after menstration in menstruating women
Those who are in menopausal stage done montly at the same date.
- Advancing age
- Family history of breast cancer
- Hormonal influences
- Early menarche (<12years) and Late menopause (>55years)
- Number of Pregnancies (higher number is protective)
- Age at 1st Pregnancy (>30 years)
- Oral contraceptive use
- Saturated fat
- Obesity in postmenopausal women (increases the risk)
- Soya, phytoestrogens are protective
- Redness, swelling, skin irritation or rash on breast
- Breast pain
- Hard lump
- Enlargement of one breast
- Change in shape of nipple
- Indrawing of the nipple
- Nipple discharge – clear, red, brown or yellow
- Dimpling of skin
- Enlarge lymph node in armpit
Procedure done for Breast Self Examination (BSE):-
- Examine your both breasts.
- Should be done in lying down position with arm raised with a mattress support behind.
- Palpate using the fingers over all quadrants of the breast in clock or anticlockwise. (4 quadrant – Upper Outer, Upper Inner, Lower Outer and Lower Inner)
- If any swelling is palpable, consult the doctors.
- American Cancer Society recommends monthly BSE after 20 years of age.
- Nursing mother should perform BSE just after feeding the baby.
Breast Self Examination